Sunday, September 30, 2007

1097 Launches

It's been a really long time since I mentioned it, but a few friends and I have been working on editing a print-and-online little monthly zine, called 1097 Magazine, and the first web version is now online at 1097mag.com. Feel free to come on over and check it out. It's all of our first forays into editing and publishing, so it should be interesting to see how much we trip over ourselves. It's been fun - a LOT of reading - and it definitely helps to get inside the heads of those that read my own work. I never really understood how a minor infraction against submission guidelines could send some editors into an insane fit of rage. Now I do. When you're reading 200 poems, give or take, one being out of order and taking an extra five minutes to format feels like the end of the world, and it's incredibly hard not to reply and just scream your brains out at the thoughtless bastard behind it, until you realize you have been that bastard ... and you don't.

In more personal news, I've been a bit down. The second of Western Oregon's two seasons (the rainy one) has arrived, and I'll need a bit of time to adjust to it. There are other things too, but frankly, this has never been a particularly personal blog. I had one of those once, one of the billions of "Waaaah, I hate my life" blogs, and frankly, I bored myself. It's been an odd year, and that may be all that needs to be said.

5 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

The sun's shining on Hawthorne today. Any time you think Central Oregon's weather is sub-bar, just imagine the same time of the year (it doesn't matter when, with the possible exception of February) and picture it with temperatures in the 100s and all the vegetation dead and crisp. And bugs. Lots and lots of bugs. Picture all that, and never move to Texas, and remember the Willamette Valley has some of the most gorgeous weather on the continent.

PS: I didn't realize you were associated with 1097 mag! Very cool. I've seen some recent Duotrope activity with y'all, I believe. I'll pay closer attention.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, 1097's kind of my baby. Mine and few others' anyway. I love the valley, don't get me wrong ... I just have to adjust every year when the pouring starts.

Todd Wheeler said...

Nicely done. Great stories.

Anonymous said...

Cheers, Todd. Thanks for reading.

Anonymous said...

pool color gator shoes branded bag for men online shop malaysia