Thursday, November 1, 2007

A Novel, No.

Well, as several other writer's blogs have already announced, it is National Novel Writing Month, which strikes me as a very strange thing to honor with a whole month, but I suppose it means well. As I have nothing like a novel idea in my head, and nothing like the time to devote to such an endeavor, I will not be participating. But, in the spirit of those who are, like frequent visitor and Caley Thistle well-wisher Todd Wheeler, I will try to do my own version of the event. Instead of dedicating an entire month to a single story, I pledge to write at least 1500 words every day this month, spread over as many stories as it takes. That's 45,000 words at least, which isn't quite a novel, but it's still far more than I've been writing in any of the past few months. I need a goal like this to get me focused. Let's see if it works.

And, like Todd, I will be keeping track of my words here.

Oh, and the other good habit I've been avoiding is my running. In October, I logged a pathetic 6 miles. This spring, I was doing that in one race. Lame is what I was in October. Goal for November: 22 miles. 22 miles and 45,000 words and what do you get? Skinny and published.

Day 1
1250 words in 1 story (-250).
0 miles (-0.73).

Starting a bit slowly, but it's not where you start - it's where you finish. And other tired sports metaphors. That is all. As you were.

2 comments:

Todd Wheeler said...

Thanks for the props!

There's nothing like a community to keep one motivated. Day two. We can do it!

Camille Alexa said...

I'm rooting for you! Is it a bad sign or a good on that you've made no post for several days?