Sunday, November 18, 2007

Return from OryCon

I made my triumphant return to The Valley of Corn today, after a weekend in Portland for OryCon. It was ... hmmm ... Well, let me say what it wasn't. It was not a writers' conference. Not really. There were writers there, some of them very good and established writers. There were editors and other industry types too, but it was overwhelmingly a fan conference. Not that there's anything wrong with that - I just wasn't so into costume time with the furries. It says much more about me than them - they were all having a hell of a good time, and it really was their scene more than mine, so things were pretty much as they should have been. I really went to hang out with Camille anyway, and that was super cool. Tomorrow, a slush pile which is really more accurately described as a slush hill or even mountain awaits. Much editing will be done. Writing? Probably not so much for the next week or so.

The other news of the weekend, of course, is the end of Scotland's hopes in the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign. The team accomplished some truly incredible things this past year and a half, and though this was a sad note to go out on, it has set us up for a much better shot than before at World Cup qualifying. And when it comes down to it, that's the big show, the one that matters. South Africa 2010 is now the focus. Alba Gu Brath.

4 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

I'm very glad I got to see a couple of fantastic authors read their own works, I must say.

Thanks for coming to visit!

Todd Wheeler said...

Good luck with the slush.

I'll try to remember the blue and red on Saturday.

Art said...

I was good meeting you-- I really enjoyed our chat at the launch party! I still find it tragic that Suds 'n Suds is now just Suds.

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael - good to meet you too. Yeah, that second "Suds" really was part of what makes Corvallis livable.

Todd - Cheers. Caley can use all the help we can get, and will have my full Saturday focus now that the national teams are quiet for a while.

Camille - No, thank YOU.