Friday, August 17, 2007

Piku

Yeah, so I sort of get stuck on things. Ideas, mostly. My submission of a formal poem this morning got me all psyched up about structure and rhythm and stuff. Then I started looking back at things I'd written lately, especially some haiku I'd been working on. A lot of people seem to think haiku are easy and meaningless, but if you really study them, they're neither. There are rules to follow, though in English, we tend to be a little lax with them. I decided to make the haiku a little harder. What I came up with was the "Piku", a haiku where the number of letters in each word is set by Pi. 3, 1, 4, 1, 5, etc. Nerdy, I know, but it's actually hard as hell to make a sensible haiku with three lines, of five, seven and five syllables, while also following the Pi letter rule. This is maybe the best I've come up with so far, expressing my need to settle back in after I get back from the trip.

Now I want a night
abstinent in Oregon -
Quiet and sober.


Even this is cheating a little, since it doesn't have the "season word" that a haiku should have, but I'm letting it go because I've already put way too much effort into this today.

2 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

You'd be great at Diminuendo.

I look forward to seeing more of your poetry published!

ThatGreenyFlower said...

I love it! I do think "Pi-ku" is maybe a little more than most editors will understand, but that is totally to their detriment.