Friday, August 17, 2007

Formality

Well, as I am once again in more regular web contact, I'll be trying my best to post here more often. I submitted a poem today to Trellis Magazine, the first time I've sent anyone any formal poetry, and it got me thinking. Formal poetry gets a bad rap. So many poets I know look down on poetry with rules, and the stricter the form is, the more they seem to despise it. Why? Isn't some of the greatest poetry in history written in the confines of structure, meter and rhyme? I'm not saying that free verse doesn't have its place - it certainly does. I both read and write free verse. But, personally, I really like writing in the confines of structure sometimes, especially an invented structure like the one in this last poem. There's something appealing to my nerdier side in sitting down, coming up with a set of alphabetical, metrical and/or rhyming rules, and then taking an idea and making it fit within them. Maybe its my science background. Oh well. Anyway, the yes-letter from Coyote Wild yesterday got me off my kiester and back to sending stuff out, so that's good. I've been concentrating so much on writing it this summer that I've forgotten the part where other people read it.

In other news, Happy Birthday to the CD. It will likely be the last dominant physical form for commercial music before it becomes entirely digital, or at least the last that sells anywhere near 200 billion copies. That's enough CD's that if you stacked them up, they would circle the Earth over 6 times. I love useless facts. By the way, for those keeping score, you can't stack them all up because my ex-girlfriend once broke one of my CDs in half. So, if you were planning on trying, blame her. I like CDs - a huge improvement over tapes, anyway, and digital downloads lack the joy that is liner notes, a loss that cannot be overestimated.

2 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

I'm with you on liner notes.

There have been some interesting poetry discussions over at the SFReader Forums lately.

On sonnets.

On flash fic v. poem.

And on poetry in general.

It's free to join, free to lurk, and easy to navigate.

Anonymous said...

Thanks ... I tend to be a bit of a lurker on such things. Big virtual groups aren't a lot better than big crowds of real folk, far as I see it. Anyhow, I'll check in at those forums. Thanks. (And for the link as well)