Thursday, July 26, 2007

Yanks Abroad

Well, I'm in England. London, to be exact. Chelsea, to be ridiculously exact. I have good news and bad news. The good news is, I made it, I'm alive, and I'm well on my way to getting my first-ever press credentials to cover Rangers matches while I'm over here. The bad news is, some ass stole my credit card and made off with it. I've told the story so many times I'm going crazy, so I won't tell it again, but sufficed to say it's a huge pain in the ass not having a credit card in a foreign country. I can't pay for anything, and London is, to be perfectly frank, a very expensive city. An exchange rate of over 2 dollars to every pound doesn't help matters. Right now, I have shelter (a hotel paid with my father's credit card ... pathetic, I know), and some food (a burger for dinner tasted WAY better than it actually was). Tomorrow, my quests include not just the planned trips around the city and eventually to the train station out, but concentrate mainly on jaunts to the US embassy and a bank to try to make some sort of sensible way out of this. It sucks. Hopefully, by tomorrow, I'll work it out. My bank is shipping a card off to me, but it could take a week, and London is not the sort of town in which one can vacation for a week without any money.

But, like I said, I'm just about set up for my first real live press box, which will hopefully come August 4th in Inverness at the Caley Thistle-Rangers season opener. I will be reporting for Yanks Abroad, a website covering American athletes overseas. DeMarcus Beasley is my particular focus, as he is the only current American playing in the Scottish league.

I just hope I get my money sorted soon. Otherwise, the title of this blog may be suddenly much more fitting than I had planned.

2 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

I just read "You Are" on-line and really enjoyed it. No, really. And I'm a tough sell.

Hope the credit-card fiasco worked out.

--Camille

Ian Rose said...

Thanks a lot, Camille. I appreciate it. And thanks for commenting as well. I'm updating the blog now with the results of the credit card mess and some exciting other news.

-Ian