Saturday, May 26, 2007

Two movies ... one good and one ...

Okay, I don't curse all that much. I did at one point, but I now I find it much more effective to use my four-letter words sparsely. I find it gives them more meaning. So, please understand that I feel it's the best possible choice of words when I say that Spiderman 3 ... fucking sucked. To be more specific, the second act of Spiderman 3 fucking sucked. It was the worst middle of a movie I've seen in years, and the worst part about it was that I had just finished watching a really good movie about an hour before.

I had a date tonight. A second date, in fact, with a very cool girl that I really hope I can see more of. We went and saw The Namesake at a great little independent theater here in town. It was everything I expected - well written, beautifully photographed, well acted. It did all the little things right, the nuances. There's a great scene when a woman learns of the death of a loved one and just walks around the house turning on all the lights, realizing how alone she is, trying to bring some life into her house before she finally loses her composure. It's sad and sweet and beautiful.

Nothing about Spiderman was beautiful. Listen, I understand that I'm comparing apples and oranges here. One of these movies is a blockbuster, the other an independent. But I'm a comic book nerd, and I really liked the previous Spiderman movies. This one however, had nothing appealing. Aside from another great little cameo from Bruce Campbell, doing a brilliant fake-French waiter routine, everything was just so blah... The characters were either overacted or barely acted at all. The dialog was terrible. And there is a scene, about halfway through ... all I'll say is "Disco". It was the 2007 version of the rave in Zion in Matrix Reloaded, when all of us started to suspect that something might be headed in the wrong direction.

Luckily, my date was not subjected to this horror. After the movie, we hung out in a bookstore for a little while and then she went home. She lives in a different town, which is proving to be kind of tough. It makes it hard to have a beer together, which is something we both tend to do, when one has to drive 45 minutes home. Anyway, even if her stereo broke and she spent the drive home in silence, she still had a better ride entertainment-wise.

Now it is time for sleep. Tomorrow, for those that are cool enough to care, or lucky enough to have been born Scottish, is the Scottish Cup. Celtic and Pars. I'll be up insanely early in the morning to watch it here in the states. G'night.

No comments: